Friday, September 28, 2007

A Stepping Stone to Friendship--Soap Operas

Over the past 16 years, I have had been given the "gift" of the meeting many daytime performers, but the "stars" I'm most grateful for meeting are Cheryl from Sydney, Australia in 1990. Hoori from Dayton, OH in 1991. Jill from San Diego and Suzanne from Troy, MI in 1993. Patricia from Syracuse, NY in 1997. Stacy from Bellevue, WA in 2003. Courtney from Nederland, TX and Beth from Cornith, KY in 2006. These women came into my life and became my friends because of one reason--soap operas. Although we are of various ages, live in different parts of the world, have extremely different backgrounds and have taken different paths in life, they were brought into my life through our dedication to the same soap or same "favorite couple". I believe in the adage, "If it is meant to happen, it will happen, but I truly wonder how I would have found these friends if "Jack and Jennifer", "Marcie and Al" or "Patrick and Robin" weren't a part of my life.

When people inquire about my devotion to soap operas, I do not spend time trying to convince them of their "worth" to society, the quality of the acting, or the fact that many of their favorite primetime and motion picture actors first worked on a soap opera; I tell them of the "gifts of friendship" that they have brought into my life. I usually start the story with how we met--through a fan club, a soap opera event, or a messageboard--and they reply with the usual unconvinced reply, "Oh, you like the same people/same show, but are they REALLY friends of yours?" Their demeanor immediately changes when I tell them how long I have known most of these friends and that I have not only met them in person, but talk to them regularly and vacation with them. It is truly amazing to watch their disbelief wash away and be replaced by fascination.

To be honest, each friendship--our emotional connections, the "common ground" we find beyond our love of soap operas, the experiences we have shared, and the support we have given and received--is extremely fascinating to ME. I never had what I considered "true friends" throughout my youth. My physical disability was prevalent at that time in my life, and that often caused me to be "noticed" in the most undesired way. The teasing, along with my shortness and insecurity due to a struggle with my weight, fostered low self-esteem and a negative self-image. I tried to "push forward" and mingle with peers, but I could never find a way to "fit" in the glorious groups that festered throughout the schools. Everyone knew me, but no one KNEW me. Once I finally embraced and shared my love of soap operas, true friendships entered my life. Who would have guessed such gifts would be brought by soap operas??? Not me. It was--and still is--fascinating.


How do I know these women are TRUE FRIENDS? They know my family. They know my talents and quirks. They like me in spite of those quirks. They laugh with me. They cry with me. Some days, we call to chat and soap operas are never even mentioned. They trust me to meet them at an airport in a strange city they have never visited and they share a hotel room with me. They have invited me to stay in a room with them only hours after we met for the very first time--ever! They come from half-way around the world to me. They encourage me to follow my heart. They know my heart.


I have thanked Matthew Ashford, Wally Kurth, Judi Evans Luciano, Kathy Brier and , most recently, Jason Thompson for "doing something you probably don't realize you have done" and they all had similar reactions--"Wow. I am glad you told me" or "I never really considered that affect." Truthfully, the gifts of friendship were just as unexpected to me. What wonderful surprise!


Do you have any friendships that you'd like to thank a soap or performer for giving you?








1 comment:

Tammy said...

That is truly wonderful Robin! It wasn't until Scrubs that I, for the first time, became part of a messagboard of any kind. I have to say that there are several I would love to meet, and one of them is you. Thx for sharing!